May 19, 2011

Faith like a Dandelion

The dandelions have already come to grace our lawn with their faithful presence. Some have even already spent their blooms, and are prepared to complete their little flower lives by spreading the joy. The neighbors will be so thrilled, I'm sure. 

I took a moment to admire these little guys one sunset a few days back, and for the first time in many years, I was filled again with the wonder of a dandelion. Just for a moment. It's my belief that dandelions are a child's right-of-passage into the world of rejoicing in God's handiwork. One of the first objects to be noticed. I've never met a little one that didn't think that they're just marvelous. We all picked them for every soul we knew, and proudly so; and those that survived in the yard to full maturity had their tiny parachutes blown to every corner and beyond. (I'll never forget that hot Summer day when some thoughtful little friends of mine filled my car with them as a sweet "Thank You." Ever... :) Heat does amazing things to dandelions...) Perhaps we'd love them so for the entirety of our lives, if the day didn't always come when someone finally gets the heart to break it to us:

"Sweetie....Dandelions are...actually...weeds."


For just one moment, pretend that your mother never got around to sharing those harsh facts with you. Imagine that those bright sunny faces are meant to be liked again. That's what I did that dusky evening. I wondered, I admired, and I got to thinking...

What a miracle it truly is, that such a teensy soft little thing as a dandelion seed, could fly so far. (Over 100 yards.) What a wonder that something so tiny-small could survive even long winters, and live to put its roots down so very deep, and grow so sturdy, so strong. To thrive, no matter where it lands. Even when so much effort is poured into stopping them; they cannot ever be completely overcome. Their name means "Lion Teeth." So strong, and ferocious. 

And it crept over my consciousness:
  "What if I had faith, like that?"

Faith is on my mind incessantly right now. This exhilarating process of learning to believe what God has said, not just with my mind, but with my life. And not just with little sections of it, but all of it. Perhaps that is why this picture comes with such clarity right now. 

I suddenly long to have faith, such as that. At this moment in my life, so many of the Lord's promises may seem so tiny and delicate, and even unlikely to the doubting eye. But as I examine this intricate design of His, I'm reassured: those little fluffy things will travel so much further than even I imagine, some may even land in the most unlikely places, but they will grow. They will thrive. Those promises will grow strong, deep, roots - and they will defy the poisons that are intended to destroy them. They will leave their eternal sunny stain on all that comes in contact with them. :) And in due season, they will spread, until there isn't even a corner of my life that isn't brimming with the Will, the Grace, the Mercies, and the overwhelming Faithfulness of my Heavenly Father. That's what I long for.

Perhaps that faith of a child that Jesus spoke of  has a little something to do with a child's attraction to these "weeds". As we give up our wonder over the little miracles like dandelions, we seem to give up our complete trust in the one that created them. 

I'm seeking for that simple faith again, the faith that takes God at His Word, and is willing to risk all for His sake. 

Faith like a dandelion.


"And Jesus said unto them...
If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed,
ye shall say unto this Mountain:
"Remove hence to yonder place;
and it shall remove;
and nothing shall be impossible unto you."
Matthew 17:20


"Whoso therefore shall humble himself as this little child,
the same is greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven."
Matthew 18:4



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Rachel Noel said...

A lovely post. I too am learning to trust in God more fully. But instead of something as lovely as a dandelion He is using the success (or lack there of) with a fundraiser to show me that He is the one in control of it all, not me. Your post gives me some much needed encouragement. Thank you!

Christianna said...

I really enjoyed and appreciated this post. Thanks so much for sharing...I feel as if my thoughts were echoed.

Christianna said...

I kept thinking about this post while I was mowing all the dandelions down in our yard...and also when one of my sisters came in with a few buttercups for Mom. =)

Antoinette Petersen said...

That was really neat! I greatly enjoyed reading your post! :)

Well, I have finally had some time to look around your blog and LOVE it and look forward to seeing what else you post in the future! i feel terrible it has taken me this long to just even peek, but that's life over here....for now anyways! sigh

Btw, I also added you to my blogroll: www.practicalsimplicity.com/blog/

Blessings in Christ,

Miss Antoinette

Anonymous said...

Such a great post! I loved reading it! I added your button to by blogroll also. :)