May 31, 2010

In Memory

Since it's Memorial day,
I would like to honor the veteran in my life;
my Grandpa Joe.

He was a Marine in the 1940's.
Yes, World War II.

He flew as a rear gunner in a
Douglas SBD Dauntless dive bomber
over the Pacific.


Grandpa Joe passed away when I was six,
before I was old enough to appreciate him,
and the stories he must have had tucked away somewhere.
I've recently sent the paperwork to get his records,
I have two pictures of his squadron,
and my brother Joe and I recently found his uniform
in my grandma's basement.

But we still miss his stories.

In loving memory of my grandpa,
and all those that came before him,
and those that came after;
who sacrificed much -
to protect the freedoms we enjoy.

Take a moment to be Thankful,
and remember,
on this Memorial day.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I love the pictures that you posted! My grandpa was apart of WWII also, he was in the army. I loved this post! It has to be my favorite memorial day post of all!

I am following your blog, I would love if you stopped by my blog and followed me.

Blessings,
Maggie
www.foreverfindingmybliss.blogspot.com

Laura said...

Good Morning, Miss Kate,
What a lovely tribute to your granddad. My youngest, Samuel, spent the day yesterday with my dad...riding in the parade with him in his restored 48 Ford truck...and then helping him work on the boat...my dad is 86...he shares wonderful stories with Samuel...memories that will last a lifetime.
Have a blessed day,
Mrs. Laura