February 15, 2010

Being Still

This poem was a great encouragement to me a couple of years ago when I first found it; and I'm making it a "post-valentine post" - in the hope that it will be the same for any young ladies out there that may sometimes find this season of their life difficult. May God bless each of you - wherever you are in the journey of discovering the tremendous joys and blessings of the season the Lord has you in.


Sit still, my daughter! Just sit calmly still!
Nor deem these days--these waiting days--as ill!
The One who loves thee best, who plans thy way,
Hath not forgotten they great need today!
And, if He waits, 'tis sure He waits to prove
To thee, His tender child, His heart's deep love.

Sit still, my daughter! Just sit calmly still!
Thou longest much to know thy dear Lord's will!
While anxious thoughts would almost steal their way
Corrodingly within, because of His delay--
Persuade thyself in simple faith to rest
That He, who knows and loves, will do the best.

Sit still, my daughter! Just sit calmly still!
Nor move one step, not even one, until
His way hath opened. Then, ah then, how sweet!
How glad thy heart, and then how swift thy feet
Thy inner being then, ah then, how strong!
And waiting days not counted then too long.

Sit still my daughter! Just sit calmly still!
What higher service could'st thou for Him fill?
'Tis hard! ah yes! But choicest things must cost!
For lack of losing all, how much is lost!
'Tis hard, 'tis true! But then--He giveth grace--
To count the hardest spot, the sweetest place.

J. Danson Smith

(I took the above photo in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic)

3 comments:

Breezy said...

This is a beautiful poem! Thank you for sharing it. ♥
-Breezy

Anonymous said...

Dear Miss Kate,

What a wonderfully beautiful message...and so true for all of the young adults, both men and women, especially today. Sometimes it seems so difficult to wait for God's will in your life...be it with a career choice, or a marriage partner, or whatever. But God has a plan for each of us, and it is so perfect to wait on Him...for he knows the desires of our hearts and he loves us dearly. So be patient, young one, and wait on Him...he will surely direct your path.

Thank you for sharing this poem!
God bless you,
Mrs. Laura

Jill said...

Amen to that. Sometimes waiting is hard, but I know that I can trust God with this important time of my life. If I can trust him to save my soul, surely I should be able to wait on him in this season.

Thanks for the encouraging reminder!

In Christ,
Jill